Main Reasons Why Your Water Heater Is Leaking
The water heater is usually located somewhere in the house where homeowners rarely frequent. As a result, they tend to follow the “out of sight, out of mind” trap. Homeowners only become aware when the problem is extremely obvious.
In short: you should call a plumber too, but you should first know the reasons why your water heater is leaking. Here’s a list of the top reasons.
Plumbing leaks are the most common reason for water heater leaks and other water issues. Sadly, you may have to deal with one eventually during your homeownership.
Do not panic if you find a plumbing leak, especially if it’s related to the water heater. You may not need a new system, but only a quick repair. However, only professional plumbers can give you a definite solution.
While a leak could be due to a corroded tank, there are other reasons this may happen, such as issues with the pressure valve or condensation.
Problems With The Pressure Valve
As the name implies, the water heater’s temperature and the pressure relief valve relieve the tank pressure if it gets too high. Your trusted Artesia repiping plumber may need to replace them if they don’t work well anymore.
If the valve is faulty, the water heater may leak. This issue may not pose a serious threat to your home, but you should replace the pressure relief valve shortly.
Leaking Drain Or Pipe
The drain valve allows you or your professional plumber to rid the water heater tank of sediment. This sediment can cause much damage, which is why you should replace the drain valve immediately if it’s broken.
Is your drain leaking? If so, it may need a replacement ASAP. Just keep in mind that the leak could also come from the inlet or outlet pipe of the water heater.
Condensation is indeed a typical sign of water heater damage. It may even need a replacement, not because it’s dangerous but because it is too small for your home’s demands.
Condensation mostly occurs when the heater cools down and the air in the area is too warm. If you’re running out of hot water too fast, and the tank can cool down that easily, maybe it’s time to change the heater to a bigger one.
Other Less Common Reasons
Before contacting your Bellflower repiping plumber, check these less common reasons why your water heater may be leaking:
- Old Tank. If your water heater is more than 15 years old, it may need a new tan.
- Much Pressure. In addition to a faulty pressure relief valve, your water heater can also suffer from much pressure if the steam has nowhere to go. The heater pressure increases when the water temperature is too high or the water enters the unit at high pressure.
- Problems with inlet and outlet connections. These connections loosen over time, causing leaks.
- Cracked storage tank. If your water heater has an additional tank to expand the amount of water they keep, be aware. These tanks can collect minerals, leading to cracks and leaks.
How To Fix Water Heater Leaks
While waiting for the plumber to arrive home, follow these recommendations:
- Cut The Power. If you have an electric water heater, shut off the system. For gas-powered units, find the thermostat and switch to OFF or PILOT.
- Cut Off The Water Too. Find the cold water line and turn it to the right until it closes. This line is usually a valve on the right side.
- Drain The Tank. It’s best to wait for the Artesia repiping plumber to do this process, but if you do know how to drain the tank, feel free to do it while waiting for the expert.
Once the water heater is drained, the damage is lessened, and the plumber is ready to work on your unit. Be aware that the first thing you should ALWAYS do is to call a professional plumber. This way, the plumber can fix the issue on time to avoid a disaster in your house.
A High-Rated California Repiping Plumber Near You
Regardless of the water heater issue, let the professionals take care of it. You shouldn’t try to repair anything by yourself as it can be dangerous. Feel free to contact Integrity Repipe to receive professional help and make your water heater work as new again.
Published by – Integrity Repipe Inc
Integrity Repipe Inc – Aliso Viejo, CA
27068 La Paz Rd #771
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656